Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Biscuits

Biscuit Making :-)

This makes 12 to 15 biscuits. We start with the ingredients. I'm not a brand-name person when it comes to shortening. Crisco was the cheapest. About a jumbo size egg of it. (to me the best biscuits are made with meat shortening, but we gotta watch our fats) We have... what... maybe 1½ cups of buttermilk. Sweet Milk makes good biscuits too.. use about a quarter of a cup less. The flour is self-rising. I use either Martha White or White Lily.... they give the best results.

To reduce the amount to 8-10 biscuits.  Use about a glob of shortening the size of a large egg,  ¾ cup of Sweet Milk or 1 cup of buttermilk.

Biscuit Making :-)

I use my very clean hand to squish the shortening and flour in.

Biscuit Making :-)

I try not to overwork the dough and wind up with a blob of dough like this and then knead it a few times.

Biscuit Making :-)

I pinch off hunks of dough and dip the wet edge in the flour and then I roll into a ball in my hands and place on the pan. Once I have all the dough balls on the pan I dip my very clean knuckles into the flour and press them into the dough balls to flatten.

Biscuit Making :-)

I bake the biscuits in a preheated 450ยบ oven until nicely browned... maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I've never really looked at the clock... my nose knows :-))

The flour is sifted and placed back in the drummer boy can.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

huge thanks!! I will be making half the recipe this weekend

Didi