Thursday, September 11, 2008

Zaroga's Cinnamon Buttermilk Biscuits

~


© Zaroga Goff 2008


Heat oven to 450° F
(yield 12 biscuits)

2 cups Self - Rising Flour (If you don't have self-rising flour use this formula )
¼ cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
1/3 cup Shortening
½ cup Currants or Raisins
¾ to 1 cup Buttermilk

FROSTING
¾ cup Powdered Sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons Milk

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Using pastry blender, fork or your clean fingers, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in currants or raisins. Stirring with fork, add enough buttermilk until mixture leaves sides of bowl and soft dough forms. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead lightly until no longer sticky. Roll out 1/2-inch thick; cut with a 2 1/2 - inch floured cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet with sides touching. Bake in a 450° oven 10 to 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack. Mix powdered sugar and milk to desired thickness. Frost warm biscuits and ENJOY!

© Zaroga Goff 2008

2 comments:

Grammy said...

This sounds yummy. I have had no luck with making my own biscuits. I do not know what I do wrong but I will try this. Thanks.

Lisa said...

Now you have my mouth watering. Another one for my list